Thursday, July 24, 2014

Watermelon Salad

In honor of my friend Julie's birthday, which just happens to fall on Pioneer Day, I'm going to share a recipe for watermelon salad I got from her last summer when we met for the first time. 

I'm one of those odd ducks who does not like watermelon, but I will eat it this way. Every single summer, for nearly 50 years, the fragrance of a freshly cut watermelon lures me in, and I make myself try it, just to see if my tastes have changed. And every year, until last year, I would swallow my bite of melon, and realize, "Nope, it's just not for me." 

With Julie's Watermelon Salad, I actually consumed a whole portion, and even asked how to make it. The savory flavors of basil and feta mingle with the sweetness of the fruit, and create a wonderful summer dish.

Yesterday I went to the Abraham's fruit stand on Main Street in Richfield, and asked Lane to pick out a small, sweet watermelon for me. He offered a half of a melon he had just cut, guaranteeing I'd like it. While I was there, it was hard not to want to buy everything they sell, but when shopping for one, it's not a good idea to buy too much fresh produce at one time, so I settled on two vine-ripened tomatoes to add to my purchase. I'm already looking forward to my first tomato sandwich...

Watermelon Salad


Cube watermelon into bite-sized pieces. Chop some fresh basil, and sprinkle on top of the melon. Drizzle the melon with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Top the salad with a little bit of crumbled feta cheese. 

See how simple that is? I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!