Tuesday, December 18, 2018

I Love You More: A Game to Play with Your Littles


While driving my neighbor Elise to preschool, I sing ridiculous lyrics to familiar tunes that seem to entertain my young charge. Old childhood melodies come to me, like "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" and "The Hokey Pokey," and I customize the lyrics to include Elise, and her dog Penzey, and preschool, and anything else that comes to mind. It makes her laugh, and I hear her clear voice from the carseat behind me as soon as I finish a stanza, "AGAIN." 


Elise has been extra affectionate with her inner circle of family, and I count myself lucky to be numbered as one of her grandmas. I am Grandma Nece. "I love you, Grandma Nece," she will tell me. Those words just melt me. I wanted to play a game with her that I used to play with my own children, and I play it with my grandson. 

"I Love You More" is an activity that encourages brainstorming, and creative thinking. Elise is so clever and quick, I knew she would come up with some pretty interesting responses. 

As we were heading to preschool in her family's minivan, Elise said, "I love you!"



"Oh, yeah? Well, I love YOU more than puppies."



She caught on fast. "Well, I love YOU more than ice cream." We went through a quick list of things we liked, but didn't love as much as each other; things like monkeys, dogs, clouds in the sky, and sunshine. We were both having fun all the way to school.

After preschool, we were headed home when Elise piped up:


"I love you more than books." 

"I love you more than broccoli," was my ridiculous comeback.

"I love you more than carrot pie," she said.

"What in the heck is carrot pie? Is it sweet?"

"No," Elise said, "It's crunchy and spicy."

"Well, that sounds disgusting, so you better love me more than carrot pie." She laughed and laughed. 




After we put away her backpack, and I poured her a sippy cup of milk, we went to my house to have a snack, and check on the dogs. Our game resumed as soon as I put her plate in front of her. 


"I love you more than muffins," which she happened to be eating.


"I love you more than cookies with chocolate frosting." 


"I love you more than the sprinkles on cookies with frosting."


"WOW, you must love me a lot. I love you more than crocodiles!"

"I love you more than alligators."





Elise's creativity came shining through when she said,  "I love you more than princess crowns." 

Coming from the little princess herself, that's a whole lot of love. I am one lucky Grandma.


Maybe during the upcoming school vacation, you will have an opportunity to spend some time with your favorite littles. Who couldn't use a little more laughter, and a lot more love in their lives? Everyone wins in the I LOVE YOU MORE game.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!