Thursday, June 21, 2018

Mama and 'Em's

Home Sweet Home.

Chuck and I got to visit at "Mama and 'em's" last weekend. I had totally forgotten that phrase until I heard my brother-in-law talk about going to his folks' house. He was telling us about going to his "Mama and them's house for supper," but when he said it quickly with his southern drawl, it came out, "We were goin' to Mama an' em's house for suppah." 

"Mama and 'em's" can refer to your parents' house, or your mama and anyone else she is with. We were blessed with visits at mamas and 'em's. I'm blessed with two mamas, and it was my good fortune to see them both on the same trip. 




It was a whirlwind vacation in Virginia. Chuck took off three days of work, and he drove through the night, both ways,  so we could capitalize on time with my family. This man is one amazing husband with what he is willing to do to make my dreams come true.

The Beidler Girls

If you are one of the many people I didn't get to visit while we were there, I am so sorry. Having two moms, an aunt, four sisters, and four brothers makes it tricky enough to even see my family when we go back home, let alone the other people I would love to visit. 


My sweet aunt in Virginia Beach drove about five hours ONE WAY to see us, and one of my sisters came in from the Richmond area. What a treat to see all of my Virginia siblings. (Joelle, we missed you, Sweetie.) 




Each morning Jackie and I enjoyed sitting on her screened-in porch, talking over our mugs of coffee and tea. We watched as the sun came up high enough to dapple the yard with sunlight and shadows. The heat and humidity held off until Monday morning, so our weekend was wonderful with relatively cool weather for porch time, cookouts and family gatherings. 


We erroneously called this Panther Falls throughout my childhood. We later learned it is actually Staton's Creek Falls.

We wanted to show Chuck a couple of our favorite places so when Natalie joined us, we took him to Staton's Creek Falls, and we went for a little drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I tried so hard to stay in the moment while we were visiting. There was so much I wanted to soak in; the vistas, the beauty, the camaraderie, and the love. 





Friday and Saturday we spent time with our Beidler relatives. One of Jackie's requests earlier this year was to gather together as a family, and all four of the Beidler kids, our spouses, and even our niece and her new husband did just that. We hadn't all been together since Daddy's funeral in 2013. It felt so good to all be in the same place, even for a little while.




My sister Natalie welcomed us into her home, and her husband Jeromie grilled burgers and hotdogs for us outside on the grill. Bless Mother Nature's heart; it wasn't hot as blazes, and we were able to enjoy Nat's screened-in porch during supper. (Is my hatred for humidity obvious?)



Sunday we went to church with Mom, and my brother Dan and his wife Becky had us all over for an open house that afternoon/evening. All but one sister made it, and I saw her the next night. I finally met a great-niece and great-nephews I'd never met. 


Monday night, more family I only had met through Facebook were there. We all talked and laughed, while some of the family enjoyed the swimming pool. Cooking for that crowd can be a challenge, but my sister-in-law is an experienced caterer, and she handled it like a pro.

Irish Creek Valley from the Blue Ridge Parkway


What's time with family without lots of laughter, reminiscing, and some photos? Visiting at Mama and 'em's might not be everybody's idea of the ideal vacation, but it is just what my heart needed. I love my mamas and 'em. All of 'em. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!