Thursday, June 28, 2018

Lucky Thirteen


What a lucky break I had today. Chuck called me on his early morning commute, saying, "You don't want to miss the sun and fog this morning." Right away, I started gathering my essentials; cameras, water, protein drink, soda. While he gave me some general directions to where he was seeing the fog, I loaded the Highlander. I didn't have time to change out of my capris and Birkenstocks. I needed to hurry before the sun burned off the fog.


Unfortunately, I only had a vague idea of where I was heading, and I do not have established spots for early morning sunrise shots. I drove to two different entrances to Pratts Wayne Woods County Forest Preserve, only to find them chained with NO PARKING signs. Apparently, forest preserves don't open early just because conditions are perfect for photography.

When I pulled the Highlander off the highway, I realized the lane was a private drive. I flipped a U, and that's when this incredible sight came into view. I checked the rearview mirror; I was the only one on the road at the moment. I threw the car in park, and pointed my Canon out the driver's side window. 


There were streams of sunlight cutting through the limbs and shadows of a big, old tree. There was fog. There was a starburst of sun. When I checked the rearview again, a car in the distance was headed my way. It was time for me to go; I avoid confrontation like the plague.


There were no public parking spots available along the highway until I spotted a little gravel turnout in front of a bike trail. I left my car there, and headed down the trail. I could barely see through the thick foliage that was between the bike trail and the open forest preserve. When I saw a rarely used path into the woods, I took two steps into the thick brush, and I heard a deep voice behind me say, "Better be careful of the poison ivy there." I froze in my tracks, surveying the greenery around my bare feet in sandals and backed myself slowly out of the weeds. I thanked the passing walker, and went in search of more photos along the established trail.


Sigh. It was so hot and humid, and my bangs were sticking to my forehead. The mosquitoes had been feasting on my exposed arms and legs, and I really wished I'd taken the time to go to the bathroom before I left home. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable on several levels. Was it asking too much to want to capture more sunbeams coming through the trees and fog? I kept walking down the bike trail, snapping pictures of berries and flowers, and trying to capture the gorgeous way the sun was cutting through the trees.


I realized I'd already been given an exceptional gift in the shot of the tree, and any other incidental pictures I took might be fun, but would not compare to the beauty I had captured earlier. 


Later, Susan and I got together for our weekly Coffee and Cameras day, and explored the Dupage Forest Preserve, which was open by 9:00. 

Out of the dozens of shots I took today, I had thirteen pictures that made me pretty happy; a baker's dozen of photographs from a beautiful morning spent outdoors, chasing sunbeams and fog. Thirteen was my lucky number today.

















2 comments:

  1. Your beautiful photos capture the perfection of God's awesome creation! Thank you for sharing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. They are all beautiful, but that first shot is really stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!