Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Mulling Over Memories

Three years ago today, I awoke early, as I always have, and wrote down my thoughts as my retirement from a thirty year teaching career approached. So much has changed since then, and yet one thing remains constant: my gratitude for the students I taught and their parents, and the faculty and staff who were my coworkers. 


March 16, 2013

It is too dark to see the clouds at this hour, but I can sense their presence. The only stars that are visible are directly overhead. The snow has melted from the creek behind us and the water is rushing downstream. Neighbors' dogs are waking with their occasional barks to one another. The air is still and the night brought no frost. Spring is entering the canyon and my senses are on alert for the changes that are coming.  

This morning I find myself tender with emotion, and my heart filled with gratitude. Thirty years of teaching is drawing to a close, and I find myself mulling over the memories. 




There were a couple of extremely challenging years, but overall, this career has been the best choice for me, living and learning and teaching among these children. The support of their parents allowed me to do my job with confidence. The love of my family made it possible to fully enjoy my life as a teacher and a mom. The support and kindness of friends and coworkers made the burdens easier to bear, and the joys more rewarding.  Thank you. Thank you all for the part you have played in the great scheme of things that make me feel so blessed and loved.  



The sun is starting to make the darkness less black. Soon this dark grey will give way to morning. The snow-capped mountains are silhouetted by the lightening sky behind them. This day brings with it another chance to learn something new and to express our love and gratitude to those who love us. I didn't want to waste this opportunity to tell you how grateful I am for you, my children and parents, my friends, and my former students. You have touched my life and I just wanted to let you know. 
  
My last full year as a teacher. 5th grade.  2012/2013. Monroe Elementary.
35 of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!