Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sworn to Secrecy

Dylan, my firstborn, has the heart of an adventurer, and it is because of him that I have seen some of the most amazing spots in southern Utah. With Dylan, I have hiked through waist-deep streams, forded creeks of icy-cold spring run-off, walked barefoot across red sand deserts, seen amazing slot canyons, and slid down long rock faces. 


Recently, as we bumped along a rough side road in southern Utah, Dylan told us about a hidden slot canyon.

"You have to find it; I LOVE slot canyons," I reminded him. "Take us there!"

"On one condition...you can't tell anyone about it." His eyes fixed on mine in his rear view mirror.

My face fell. My boy knows how much I love posting pics and stories on my blog and Facebook page. 

We came to an agreement, of sorts. I could only post pictures with his approval. No identifying landmarks could be in the photos, and I could only write about our experiences, not the location. Dylan is very protective of his favorite places. I was sworn to secrecy.

If you've been reading my blog lately, you probably realize that even if I could remember the name of this place, I wouldn't be able to tell you how to get to it if my life depended on it. So, his secret is safe with me, if you know what I mean.

Considering Randomocity has a pretty small fan base, I am touched by Dylan's concern about secrecy. I'm pretty sure my regular readers aren't going to try to storm the place, but we can never be too certain. Not that Yuriko in Japan, or Dawn in Belize, is going to tell all their friends, and the place would be overrun by foreign tourists, but you just never know. Even if all twelve of my American followers showed up on the same day, I doubt it would affect Dylan or his cave.

We continued on the road surrounded by red rock mountains out in the middle of nowhere. (How am I doing, Dyl? Vague enough for ya?) Suffice it to say that we were on the fringes of civilization, and I was most grateful for the occasional outhouse located at various trail heads.

Dylan had heard about a very narrow crevice that opens up into a large cave with an amazing skylight that allows the sun to warm the rock surfaces within it. 

After Dylan spotted the landmark he was looking for, we parked the truck, and did a little hiking. It was a glorious blue sky day on the desert, and there were big, puffy clouds overhead. The temperatures were comfortable as we shuffled through the sand.

I just barely fit.
Dylan and Bridger tried a couple of narrow slots in the rock mountain that were dead ends. And then...we found it. I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit through the opening, not being quite as trim as my boys and husband, but by holding my camera above my head, I was able to shimmy through the slot.

After we slipped between the rock walls, we walked out into a cavernous room. I was in awe of this hidden cave that was full of light from the opening overhead. It was easy to imagine Native Americans long ago seeking shelter here, and being so pleased to discover this natural sanctuary sheltering them from the elements.

The boys scrambled up and down the steep floor of the cave while Chuck and I took pictures. They squeezed into narrow slots that led nowhere, and explored the nooks and crannies inside this gorgeous hideaway.

"How am I going to get down from here?" Dylan asked.

"Jump! I'll catch you," said the little brother.


Exploring the secret cave was the highlight of another outdoor adventure with some of my favorite folks. It won't do to ask me for directions. I seriously have no clue how we got here, and even if I knew, if I told you where this is, Dylan probably wouldn't take me on any more adventures, and that just wouldn't do at all.

It was hard to believe that narrow slot opened up into this large room.


Flashlights cast a creepy glow on my usually handsome son.


Thinking of this face reminds me how serious he can be
about "his" spots. Your secret is safe with me, Dyls.



4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this secret with us. It's safe with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for stopping by. We Denises can be good at keeping secrets. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Your picture of you makes me claustrophobic! It was beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jodi, I made sure weren't going spelunking before we left! I am a bit claustrophobic, but I could see daylight as I was shimmying through!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!