Saturday, June 8, 2019

Cut from the Same Cloth

Photo Credit: Chuck Bennorth

Bristol and I were cut from the same cloth. We would rather be home than anywhere else. Both of us enjoy watermelon and taking naps. We're a little stubborn, and we are happy when we get our own way. We like meeting new people, and probably overwhelm them at first with our outgoing personalities. I like to think we have a good connection.


A few months ago, Dr. Kelly told Bristol he had to lose some weight. She thought 77 pounds was a little too much for his frame; he's shorter than you might suspect. We were to cut back on his meal portions, and snacks, too. She encouraged me to walk him more.

Since my knee injury in November, I haven't done much walking, and have exercised at the pool mostly. My knee has not gotten better despite cortisone and gel injections, so I'm waiting to get two new knees in September. My knee surgeon informed me a couple weeks ago that yes, my knees will hurt, but, yes, I need to walk anyway. I have a few pounds of my own to lose before my surgery. (Thirty, to be exact.)


These last three months have been hard for Bristol. He has whined even more than he did before, usually sitting in front  the tote where we store the dog food. 



Bristol's kibble portions were cut back, and peanut butter in his Kong toy became a thing of the past. When I fed him snacks, I gave him watermelon and green beans. 

Just this week, I looked at Bristol's wide, wide back, and told Chuck, "I don't think Bristol has lost much weight, but his harness seems looser, so I'm hoping that's a good sign!"

This morning while my sweet husband was sleeping in, I decided it would be a good time to weigh Bristol at the vet. Since the dogs have yet to master jumping into the back of the Highlander, and I was not up to the task of hoisting the two of them into the car, I decided to walk them. 


When I finally got Bristol on the doctor's scale, I stared in disbelief. "That can't be right!" I told the technician. I dragged Bristol back to the scale to see if I could get a different number. 

No, there was no denying it. My big galoot had gained 10 pounds. My heart fell.



Buddy, you and I are more alike than I care to admit. 

We won't give up, though. We're stubborn like that.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! My dog molly has been battling Chronic health issues for the past year. So it had become imperative that she lose a bit of weight. She is an old girl with arthritis from a torn ACL. So I started using a vet that practices integrative medicine( acupuncture nutrition as well as western medicine ) She was also put on a homecooked diet with controlled calories. After taking her off kibble, the weight melted off! She also visibly acts like her old self again!The amout of food she gets is substantial and she loves it. I wholeheartedly recommend this course of action if you have the time and resources. I cook 4 days worth of food at a time. I think that ultimately it saves money also! The consultation is ultimately What cost the most but it is the most important aspect because they know how to calculate the needs of your dog, including the nutrients that need to be added. Molly's diet is ground beef or turkey sweet potato and 1/4 cup vegetables. I add a multiviamin as well as calcium and a few other things. Good luck with your doggie I hope maybe I have given you food for thought! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharron, thank you for your kind advice. I'm so glad you've had such wonderful results with Molly! That is encouraging! Can't wait to see you!

      Delete
  2. Poor Bristol, but I can definitely relate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Bristol and Denise. I can certainly feel your pain. I can't seem to get rid of any of this weight, either. I did give Willa what I suppose was a good incentive. She's headed to Scotland in August, and she's working hard to get more fit. I told her I'd chip in $300 if she got 30 pounds off. She is currently at 25 and doing great! Too bad Bristol doesn't understand the benefits of cash. :p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!