Tuesday, January 16, 2018

What Would Make Today Perfect for You?


Snow is something I wait for all winter. Even if it is snowing, I am wondering how long it will snow, and when it will snow again. I just can't get enough of the white stuff.


Sorry. I probably make you crazy with talk like that. I can't help it. 




When I woke up to snow early yesterday morning, I was thrilled. While Chuck slept in, I enjoyed a pot of Dulce de Leche coffee, and I got some reading done. 


After breakfast, Chuck shoveled our driveway, and invited Sami outside with him. We were so impressed. Even without a leash, she stayed right by Chuck, and had fun romping in the snow with him. The dogs loved playing in the backyard, and then settled in for their "long winter's nap" on the couches.



While I was editing some of my photos of the dogs, Chuck asked me a question we ask each other fairly regularly. 



"What would make today perfect for you?"

We probably all have different ideas of what constitutes a perfect day. Some of us want to wake up early to enjoy the sunrise; some want to sleep in. Some of us want to whip up something special in the kitchen; some want a break from cooking, and want to eat out. Some of us want to check off our to-do lists; some want to do nothing at all. Some of us want to read; some want to watch a movie. Some of us want to enjoy the camaraderie of a crowd; some want to just stay home.

Usually for me, I want to wake up early to have time for reading, music, and reflection, then I want to spend the rest of the day with Chuck at home. We go-go-go so much, and just not having to go anywhere feels like a treat. A fire in the fireplace makes things extra-cozy. I like taking pictures, and I like editing them. I like to read, and eat good food, and snuggle with the puppies. 



But you guys, it SNOWED. Admittedly, I'm a little crazier about snow than Chuck is, but he asked what would make the day perfect for me, so I told him.

"I want to take our cameras out today, and I want to go sledding."

My wish is his command, apparently. He saw to it that I had a perfect day on our snow day.

This is why my cheeks hurt after shooting; I smile so hard behind that camera.

Some of the young moms in our neighborhood had told us they would be taking their children out to play in the snow. Chuck and I love having such adorable subjects for our photography hobby. Spending time with those sweet little kids and their mamas always makes me happier. Chuck teases saying I'm the paparazzi for the five and under crowd. We had so much fun watching the kids have fun in the snow.



While the light was still decent, Chuck and I took our cameras on a little photo safari around Saint Charles. It may be mid-January, but there are still plenty of Christmas decorations still up. That suits me just fine. I don't know when I'll get around to taking down my own tree. I need the emotional boost that comes from the glow of the tree.





We walked around downtown, and visited one of the forest preserves. There is something so restorative about walking outside in the snow, especially when the flakes are still falling.


A friend of mine gave us a standing invitation to go sledding at her house. I'd bought two new sleds to replace the one Chuck and I shattered a couple weeks ago. I was thrilled when yesterday she texted to remind me that conditions were favorable for sledding, and we should come over. 

Photo Credit: Chuck Bennorth

Sledding has become my substitute for downhill skiing these days. It makes me feel like a kid, and that's always a good thing. I had the snow hill all to myself. Donna and Chuck weren't feeling like sledding yesterday, so I went solo, but the two of them were good sports, and cheered me on. 

Photo Credit: Chuck Bennorth

Our snow day was everything I hoped for, and more. We were able to take lots of pictures, and I got to try out my new sled. Between texts, phone calls, and Snapchats, I heard from most of our kids. We ate Rosati's pizza, and there was even time for puppy snuggles. 




Yesterday seemed to be all about me. In a few days, I will have to turn the tables, and make sure Chuck has a perfect day, too. (Be thinking, Sweetheart; what would your perfect day include?)



And what about you? When was the last time you had a day that felt perfect, or nearly so? I hope you will give it some thought, and will look forward to having a wonderful day that makes you feel happy and content soon. 








4 comments:

  1. Lovely! Thank you for sharing your joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! It always makes for a nearer to perfect day when I hear from you!

      Delete
  2. I really liked this post. I also love that question...I should ask my husband that. "What would make your day perfect?" I believe he would love it. Although he would probably say, "winning the lottery" that he never plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about you? What would be a perfect day for you, Debby?

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!