Sunday, August 27, 2017

Falling for Fall

The autumn fairy has always been one of my favorites.

The puppies woke up at 3:30, but I didn't mind. I had things I wanted to do. Fragrances of fall are drifting through the house; apple, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice. Pumpkin spice candles are burning on my desk, and there is my version of Amish friendship bread baking in the oven. 


There were pictures to edit from yesterday at the Bristol Renaissance Faire. I've been yearning to bake something, and knew the perfect recipe once I took a break from my photos. Before we leave for Wisconsin this morning, I want to get some reading done, too, and spend some time with the puppies. 



While we were at the faire yesterday, I noticed several of our friends from the Guild of Saint Michael had found leaves on the ground, and tucked them into the bands of their hats. There were big, yellow leaves scattered beneath the trees. From a distance, I watched as leaves swirled to the ground behind the jousting yard. 


Ever since the Festival of Lammas when the harvest season is celebrated at Bristol, I have been having autumnal thoughts. Oh, who am I kidding? My feelings for fall run deep, and I think about it all year long, but especially after Lammas. Seeing the wheat stalks worn as decorations was all it took for me to make the jump to pumpkin spice and cinnamon apples.


The air was cooler at Bristol; thank heavens. I didn't mind, at all, wearing the underskirts beneath my dress. I had toyed with the idea of adding a wrap to my costume, but once we entered the gates, I was so glad I didn't; there was a soft breeze, but the sun was warm. Thanks to so many friends for their concern and suggestions for avoiding dehydration, we had a full day at the faire, and I did not require first aid even once!


Fall is coming, friends. It is almost time for summer and the season of faire to make way for autumn and its promises of fall foliage and cooler weather. As sad as I am to say goodbye to our friends at faire, I count my blessings to have so many wonderful people to miss. It helps knowing we will see each other at smaller faires this fall and next spring. 



As soon as the sweltering summer temperatures begin to cool, I start "falling for fall," and I want to spend more time in the kitchen. I've already tried a sweet potato-ginger soup that will be a staple in my lunch time lineup. And today the baking season started. 



One of my favorite fall recipes is Amish friendship bread. You know that recipe that requires ten days of smooshing bread batter in a Ziploc bag before you can bake it? Seriously? Ain't nobody got time for that!


I knew there had to be a better way, so I shortened up the wait time to ZERO days in my recipe, and after 20 minutes or so, I had Amish friendship bread in the oven. If you are like I am, and prefer not to wait ten days to satisfy a craving for cinnamon-y, sugar-crusted bread, you might like this recipe, which can be found HERE


Retailers know there are nuts like me out there, and are already stocking the shelves with harvest themed decor and pumpkin spice everything. I can't say I mind at all.

Have you tried it? It's a winner!


So while while the Ren faire season is winding down, I am going to look for the silver linings.  There are just so many yummy reasons to fall in love with fall.


Yes, fall is coming, and once again, I feel the familiar tingles of excitement. I love the flavors and scents of the season. I love the cooler weather. I love sweaters and jeans. And this year I realized, fall means I won't have to mow the lawn for awhile, so what's not to love about that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!