Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fat Tuesday??? Wait. What?

How is it I have lived 55 years, and never ONCE celebrated Fat Tuesday? A whole day dedicated to eating and overindulgence? This celebration was practically custom-made for me. What the heck? How did I miss the memo about this?

This morning I woke up around nine, after sleeping for thirteen and a half hours. Apparently, I am very sick because if you know me at all, you know that sleeping is not my thing. (INSOMNIA is more my thing.) Every day I am up by four, reading, writing, exercising, spending time with my husband before he leaves for work at 6:00. Not today, though. 

When I woke up, my bedroom was filled with sunshine. After drinking more water, and checking in with Chuck to assure him I had not died since he left for work, I checked in on Facebook. 

One of my friends had posted about Fat Tuesday with this advice, "In the meantime, eat all the things." Wait. What? Is this a thing? 



In between sending Chuck updates on my rising temperature, I turned to Google to investigate this fascinating holiday, and lo, and behold, I discovered Fat Tuesday is a celebration on the Christian calendar. I'm a Christian; who dropped the ball, and forgot to tell me that I could "eat all the things" today, without guilt? (I kind of quit reading when the article started talking about 40 days of fasting following this "last hurrah," of sorts. I've never been able to wrap my heart or my head around the whole fasting thing, which probably comes as no surprise to you.)

Now on Sunday, we heard about the beginning of the Lenten season, a time of sacrifice, and rededication. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the days leading up to Good Friday and Easter. 

Lent, I'd heard of...no chocolate, fasting and prayer, sack cloth and ashes, yada yada yada. How come no one told me about this amazing thing called Fat Tuesday? This is a holiday I can get behind.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there is a carton of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream in the freezer that is all but screaming my name. I've just been looking for an excuse to devour it. Apparently, today's my lucky day. And it may be just the thing to lower my fever.

Laissez les bons temps rouler, indeed!

Today's French lesson brought to you by 
Jean Claude Boudreau.
You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!