Tuesday, July 9, 2013

*Food Is a Drug...Just Ask Hippocrates!

Whew. I am exhausted.  I was up at 3:30 to take the Candace and Kayla back to the airport.  It has been a whirlwind week of baking, entertaining, driving, and playing tourist.  I've been staying up later, but still getting up early.  Today I've had steel-cut oats with peanut butter, homemade hummus with veggies and whole grain chips, and I am ready for lunch.  

What to have?  What to have?  What I WANT is a Carl's Junior Fish Taco. What I need is some more salad and fresh salsa.  What's in our house would shock you.  Our pantry and fridge definitely need some de-junking.  There are truffles made of Oreos and Nutter Butter Cookies.  There's a little ice cream left over from Candace's birthday treat.  I froze the rest of the brownies.  We have homemade whole wheat rolls.  Lucky Charms Cereal is sitting on a shelf.  

I heard this quote from Hippocrates just recently on the video Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead:  "Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food."  

Spiral slicer...makes spaghetti out of squash/zucchini.

Clover shaped rolls.
Food has been my drug of choice for all of my life.  I've never been a drinker; I've never abused drugs; I rarely use prescriptions for pain after surgery.  But I have been known to drown my sorrows in a carton of ice cream, and mindlessly eat my way through a batch of homemade brownies or cookies. Back in the day, I shopped at Lane Bryant and the plus-size sections of department stores.  I love to eat, and I especially love to eat desserts.                                                                                                                                                                      
Right now, I am dealing with some physical ailments, namely Sjogren's Syndrome which has resulted in arthritic conditions. These days I'm not looking at Hippocrates' quote as a joking way to look at food, I'm thinking of the truth that is there, and that I may be able to reverse some damage and prevent other diseases by taking a critical look at what I'm putting in to my body.  For 52 years, I've pretty much indulged myself in whatever pleased me.  I need to be more moderate, and find a balance of healthful eating and yummy foods. I need to remember to use food as a drug to heal my physical self; not as a numbing agent for my emotional self.  It's hard to keep that straight, but I will keep trying!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!