Monday, October 22, 2018

I Had It All Along

Lumix 300Z

Have you ever searched and searched for something, only to discover you had it all along? This has happened to me literally, and metaphorically.


Remember my blog post appropriately named Losing My Marbles?  I had looked high and low for my reading glasses, only to discover they were right where I left them, on top of my head. 

Lumix 300Z


And this fruitless seeking has happened metaphorically, like searching for happiness in all the wrong places. When will I learn happiness isn't found outside myself? It's not in ice cream, or shopping, or cookies, or any self-indulgent behavior that can lead to regret. Happiness really is an inside job. 


I was reminded of these life lessons just a few moments ago. 


Today has been a busy, busy one; my choice. I am trying to restrict my time on social media, so I've tackled little jobs that sometimes end up being procrastinated until some faraway day. After doing laundry, dishes, and vacuuming, and removing all of the dog hair off the basement steps with a squeegee (try not to be jealous of my glamorous life), I rewarded myself with editing my photos from the weekend. 

Door County was a golden treasure. (Canon Rebel T7i)

Chuck and I celebrated our fourth year anniversary of meeting in person on October 18. We had a romantic getaway to Door County, Wisconsin last weekend. We laughed, and talked, and met new friends at the White Birch Inn. We ate good food and made good memories, taking lots of pictures despite the rain and snow. 

Lumix 300Z

The only thing missing from our awesome autumn in Door County seemed to be red maple leaves. There were so many yellow trees, and plenty of orange ones, and still some green ones; just the red ones were scarce. I'm not saying there aren't any there; I'm just saying we didn't see many. 

Lumix 300Z

As I opened up my Lightroom editing software on my computer, I realized I hadn't edited pictures from the day before we left. I've been getting to know my new mirrorless camera, and as it turned out, there were plenty of colorful maple leaves the last time I took my Lumix out for a spin. Right out my front door. 

Lumix 300Z


Sometimes we have the things for which we're searching all along. All of these pictures, except for the yellow leaves from Door County, were all in my neighborhood. I hadn't even realized why I expected to see so many in Wisconsin. We have an abundance of colorful maples in Illinois. 

Lumix 300Z


We just have to be aware enough to recognize the gifts we already have. Like my beautiful maple leaves, right here at home.


Lumix 300Z


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!