Monday, November 27, 2017

Celebrate Me Home


Beautiful, hand-painted card from Joscelyne


Who doesn't love birthdays? I know some people say they hate getting older, and they don't like all the fuss, but I love birthdays; I always have. I love feeling special and spoiled, and the way my mama treated birthdays while I was growing up always made me feel that way. 

There was just something so nice about my childhood birthdays, like not having to do any chores, and getting to make all of the important decisions about how my day would be spent, and what we would eat for supper and dessert. I even got to drink tea or soda with my special birthday request. Mom set the bar high for birthdays!


We were just missing Sierra, who joined us later during our stay in Utah.

This year, I turned 57 without a lot of fanfare, but definitely with a lot of love. So many of you sent birthday texts and greetings to my phone and on Facebook. Thank you so much for remembering me; I smiled all day long as I received notifications of your greetings. 

Chuck always makes sure I am celebrated, and this year, he drove me all the way to Utah the day before my birthday, and I was able to spend my special day with my boys (and Jamie and Joscelyne), and my daughter joined us later in the week. You know I celebrate all month long, right?


Chuck treated us all to a Mexican dinner at Cafe Sabor, and at my request, since I'm not real big on birthday cake, we picked up some Halo Top ice cream afterwards, and enjoyed that at Dylan's and Jamie's. I made a wish, and blew out the candle that was in my ice cream. Untraditional; it's how I roll.

My favorite flavors this night were Pumpkin Pie and Caramel Macchiato.

While we were visiting the kids in Saint George, Utah, I asked for a "campfire." I love sitting by a fire, and it had been too long. Dylan obliged me like the good son he is. Chuck and I had fun taking pictures of the fire, and of Dylan, Jamie, and their puppy Elle, too. 


Birthdays have become less about the presents, and more about time with my loved ones. The cards and gifts are always appreciated, but spending time with Chuck and any of our kids who are available is what I enjoy most. 

Photo Credit: Chuck Bennorth

I can't always be with my kids for birthdays and holidays, but turning 57 was extra special because we were all together throughout the week of Thanksgiving. 

"Celebrate Me Home," a song by Kenny Loggins, seemed to be especially appropriate for this blog, so I've included this YouTube video for your listening pleasure. 






2 comments:

  1. That is so nice. Families are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Debby! I hope you are doing well, and that the holidays are kind to you.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!