Monday, May 22, 2017

Dreaming about Drumming

Did I ever tell you about that time I was a drummer in a rock 'n' roll band? 

"Pictures or it didn't happen," my kids are always telling me.

Photo credit: Chuck Bennorth


Well, today I'll go one better. I've even got VIDEO. 

Not every mom would appreciate a Mother's Day gift of new drum sticks, but my old set is so chewed up, I thought it was a pretty special gift from my youngest, the musician in the family.  That would have been enough of a gift, but Bridger had a surprise planned I wouldn't learn about until later in the week. 


































Bridger asked me if I would like to drop by his jam shack to see the recent improvements. Of course, I would. How about 2:00 Thursday? Well, that seemed a pretty specific time for my laid-back son to suggest, but my week was wide open, so I agreed to it. I asked if I would get to hear his band play that day. Probably so, he said.

As we were driving to Monroe, Bridger wanted me to let him know when we arrived. When we pulled up in front of the old cabin that has been converted into his jam shack, complete with heat and electricity, he came out to greet us, grinning from ear to ear.



The shack looked great. There was a cozy couch for guests, amps and speakers, and a brand-new, shiny green drum kit. "That's YOURS?" I asked. It was. He handed me another new set of sticks, and told me I was going to get to play them. Right then and there.

We spent some time reviewing some familiar rhythms, and then he said, "You know, I've been listening to a lot of my music lately, and nearly all of it uses a rhythm you already know. So today I'm going to teach you about fills."




When Bridger pulled out his electric guitar, he told me to start playing my basic rhythm, and then he jumped in with his guitar. It was so fun! If you are curious how that went, I humbly offer this little video clip:



After awhile, one of the guitarists from Grizzly Bear Whiplash walked through the door, and started setting up his guitar and amp. Zach said Bronson would be coming in just a bit. The high school must have just let out. I played the drums while Bridger and Zach jammed. I kept wondering when their drummer was going to show up. 




When Bronson walked in, I asked about their missing band member. "He's not coming. You're playing the drums for us today," Bridger said. I couldn't help it; I just laughed. My boy flashed his trademark grin. 




Every once in awhile, Bridger would mouth these words to me, "Are you having fun?" I nodded excitedly to let him know how happy I was. I was having the time of my life. Bridger had been planning this for weeks, and even kept his new drum set a secret from me. I couldn't believe he convinced his band members to let me play with them.

Practicing in my dark basement on my little beginner First Act drum set in no way prepared me for the thrill of playing on a full drum kit with a rock 'n' roll band. I didn't do anything all that amazing, but I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Playing the drums has been something I've wanted to do nearly all my life, but playing the drums with a band is an item I never dreamed I would check off my bucket list.
I've had a lot of help making my dreams come true these last few years. I have my kids and Chuck to thank for most of them. 

Bridger, you outdid yourself this Mother's Day. That was an afternoon I will never forget.


All photos/video: Chuck Bennorth
Thanks, Beart!




4 comments:

  1. I would be grinning all the way into 2018! What a thoughtful and loving gift

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Let me know if you need a singer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!