Friday, December 6, 2013

*Stop Me If You've Heard This One...

Skreened.com offers this little number.
I know what I want for Christmas next year. A button to wear on my shirt that says, "Stop me if you've heard this before." 


Okay, so I Googled the phrase, and there actually is a t-shirt available. (Ordering Info available in this link. Apparently, my poor children hear the same series of stories every time we get together.  


If no button is offered by a retailer, perhaps someone will develop a Repetitive Anecdote Antidote children can administer to their aging parents. I've known this day was coming because history repeats itself in the next generation.  With my own parents, I hear retellings more than occasionally.  I've learned it's just easier to nod in agreement, and supply missing details as the story progresses, so we can move on to a new topic. I'm hoping my own children will be that kind to me.


One day when I picked Bridger up...stop me if I've told this before; it's feeling all-too familiar...I sat quietly before I put the car in drive, and he looked at me questioningly.  


"I was just trying to remember the last time we were together, so I don't repeat myself," I told him.


"Don't worry about it, Mom.  I'm used to it by now."


Groan!  Habits become expected traditions from the younger generation. How delightful!


It's not that I'm TRYING to bore my children.  I suppose I am uncomfortable with lulls in the conversation, and think something said is better than nothing said. Perhaps less IS more in this circumstance.  Once we cover the weather, and catch up on the most recent occurrences of our lives, which hopefully are recent enough so as not to be a rehashing of a story already shared, I try to fill the gaps with my favorite stories.


It's one of the hazards of growing older, I suppose.  My children will learn compassion and patience, so at least the experience is not a complete waste of their time.  I would like to publicly apologize right here, right now, for all future offenses which are sure to occur.


To my children:  I AM SORRY FOR REPEATING MYSELF. Now get over it.  That is all.


Hey, did I tell you about the time I picked up Bridger, and I said, "Now stop me if you've already heard this..."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sad but true that we're becoming our parents, isn't it?! Haha...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!