Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summer Reading 2013

Summer reading for me began with The Shack by William Young. Excellent book to get in touch with your spirit. Currently reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Do you ever browse Barnes and Noble and just take a book from the bargain shelf and hope for the best? This is that book for me. I would like to thank Ms. Barbery for making me THINK. I was never able to get through Anna Karenina, but thanks to her literary references, I feel like I can appreciate some of it at least.

Next on the list: catching up on my Jen Lancaster. She's written a couple of books since I read Bitter Is the New Black and Bright Lights/Big A$$. Love her for making me laugh. Will check out more by Paolo Coelho. Kimberly Keisel gave me The Alchemist and I have been enamored ever since. LOVED 11 Minutes (a tale of a prostitute, and yet surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly at all, considering Coelho's works, it's not a story of prostitution, but of seeking for love and acceptance, and who doesn't want that? I also loved Veronika Chooses to Die. Again, not a book about suicide, although it sounds like it, but a book about choosing to live life to its fullest. I enjoyed The Manuscript Found in Accra, as well, but not as much as his earlier ones. It seemed a little too much like a Chicken Soup for the Soul book to me. I'm not explaining myself very well. It just had a different feeling for me than his others that are my favorites.



Currently, I am reading Aleph by Paolo Coelho.  It is proving to be a good escape for me during a hectic week of scheduled family events.

Loving this time to read. This summer I had planned to experiment with tablet reading. I'm not drawn to e-readers like a hefty little paperback, but I feel that I at least need to give them a try. 


I love a good lead to a good read.  If you have favorites you don't mind taking the time to list, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!