Friday, October 12, 2018

Don't Tell Me What I Need




Do I agree with everything I read? Hardly, and here is a good example of something that on first reading seems to make some valid points, but on this particular day, I just shook my head. 

"No, we don't need more sleep. It's our souls that are tired, not our bodies. 

"We need nature. We need magic. We need adventure. We need freedom. We need truth. We need stillness. We don't need more sleep, we need to wake up and live." -Brooke Hampton

Photo Credit: Positive Outlooks

"We need to wake up and live," Brooke Hampton says. It's not that I disagree. Waking up and living sounds like a good idea, actually. I am not familiar with Ms. Hampton, but she is assuming a very big thing; that we've slept. I've been thinking of what I would say to her.

"Maybe my soul is tired, but my body is exhaustedDon't you be telling me what I need, Brooke."



"Insomnia is doing a number on me, and I am just so freaking tired. Have you ever had insomnia, Brooke? Probably not. It sucks.

"'Wake up, and live;' that's what you recommend? I wake up all night long, checking my clock, hoping it's any time after three. Insomniacs either can't fall asleep, or can't stay asleep. Sometimes we can't do either one, and we spend entire nights tossing and turning, wishing sleep would overtake us. Burning the candle at both ends makes us go through the day wishing we had the energy to do the things we want to do, but we have to settle for going through the motions of the things we have to do. 





"Insomnia plays with your head. When you feel like you are running on fumes, you don't make good decisions for taking care of yourself. You don't have the energy to make nutritious meals, and end up mindlessly eating whatever is available. You certainly don't have the energy for anything like an adventure. 


"Insomnia messes with your soul, too. A lack of sleep can make you depressed. It can dampen your spirit, until you hardly recognize yourself. 



"You know what I really need right now, Brooke? Here's my truth. I just need sleep. I'll have to take care of my soul after my body takes a nice, long nap." 

Wish me luck.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!