Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What Are You Giving Up for Lent?

Lent? That stuff that gathers in pockets and belly buttons? No, no, no. That's LINT. Lent is a 40 day period of preparation before Easter Sunday. We've all seen the "holidays" on our calendar of Ash Wednesday (that's today)and Palm Sunday. What's up with those days anyway?

The Lenten season is not only observed by Catholics. I can remember Protestant friends discussing what they were working on during their observation of Lent. Not being Catholic, I had to do a little research about this religious tradition on my calendar. Many followers of the tradition "give up" something for Lent. I've had friends give up chocolate, or dessert, or Facebook, or something else that challenges them, with a desire to purify themselves. I'm not ready for that kind of commitment, unfortunately. I am going to participate this year, though! It begins today, on Ash Wednesday, and goes until Holy Saturday. Details seem a little sketchy about whether it's forty days or 46 days, but that doesn't matter to me a bit. I'm here for my own little agenda.
Hmmm...maybe I could start with returning the heater to the basement, and the rock salt to the garage! I have work to do!
While perusing Facebook this morning, I noticed a good friend had posted the announcement about 40 Bags in 40 Days De-cluttering Challenge (new 2016 link, updated) offered by Ann Marie on her blog, White House, Black Shutters. The more I read, the more excited I became. Ann Marie takes Sundays off, and that is how her challenge is a 40 day challenge. I, on the other hand, am pushing through, and my forty days will end on Palm Sunday, which just happens to be two days before I need to be done with my move. I'll be culling my belongings from two spacious homes to make everything fit in my small "cottage." This is synchronicity at its finest! 

The theory is simple enough. Every day for the next six weeks or so, focus on one area of the house to purge, de-clutter, and organize. Forty areas? Do I even have that many? Oh, yes, I do! I would not want to have to tackle my closet AND my dresser on the same day. I'm not getting hung up on how many bags I use; I will simply focus on one area per day. I'll be eating the elephant, so to speak, one bite at a time. I'm starting to get a little excited.  I already pulled out a legal pad, and listed all of the places I want to attack. Um, organize.

As much as possible, I will avoid adding to the local landfill. I will find new homes for my belongings. Family and friends who can use my extra "stuff" will be welcome to it. What is not wanted by loved ones will be donated to the local thrift shop. 

My overall plan divided the house into ten rooms or storage areas, and then I divided each of those into two or three sections. Today, I'm going to go for a tiny project: the coffee table. It's bugged me forever to have my yoga mat, weights, and an assortment of reading materials sliding around under the table top. Today, they will be packed away for moving, and the table will be polished. I'm feeling better already! One step at a time, one bag at a time, one day at a time. Who's with me here?

I can't commit to giving up chocolate, or my cell phone, or Facebook, but I CAN commit to this. By getting rid of the things that are unused, unorganized, and unloved, I stand to gain so much. I'm giving up my STUFF, and gaining a simplified, organized home. What could be a better trade-off?

Are you interested? Check out Ann Marie's pages on Facebook: White House Black Shutters, where she will be posting public updates, and you can also ask to be included in the private group 40 Bags in 40 Days (2016 official group)

My first day's results: My living room is spotless. There is not a book or magazine on a horizontal surface. My box of magazines is in the trunk to deliver to the elementary school. 


I wanted to start out small, and feel a sense of accomplishment. THAT felt so good, I tackled my big bugaboo, my junk drawer. I went from one big, old disorganized mess to two tidy spaces: the house's junk drawer, and organized bins ready to insert in my new junk drawer when I move.



My before...




















My after.

Ready for the move.

To see the progress I've made during the first several days, click on this link: 40 Bags in 40 Days Update. I'm learning that my house is a metaphor for my life. Removing the clutter from the closets and rooms is empowering and liberating for my spirit, too.

14 comments:

  1. I saw this yesterday--a couple other people I know are committing to it! I've been trying to commit to going off sugar as the third element in a triathlon challenge but I'm having a hard time getting in the right mindset for it. I use up so much of my cope and fortitude on the boys...there's not much left over to deal with my own sugar cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd rather get organized than give up sugar. I hear you on the boys sucking you dry of energy! Best of luck with your triathlon!

      Delete
  2. I'm seriously considering this! Can I have Saturday and Sunday off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sharybary! The best thing about this is it's YOURS to do with what you'd like. Have fun with it! Think how much you'd accomplish even if you only did it five days a week until Easter. GO FOR IT!

      Delete
  3. You know, I had something else in mind for Lent, but this dovetails so nicely. I am jumping ship and decluttering. Well written and useful post Denise. Theres a reason you're part of my daily fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm about ready to start the NEXT 40 days in perfecting my little house. One more purge, and organizing the small space so it feels roomier!

      Delete
  4. I'm in! Thanks for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I hope this has gone well for you. I'm ready to make a new plan of attack for the Cozy Cottage now that we're just about all moved in...

      Delete
  5. great idea. With school, writing and report cards though, I will simplify this to fit what I can really accomplish. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I hope you've been able to make some headway. Simplifying is always a good way to go!

      Delete
  6. I had already joined the 40 days challenge, but with an eye toward decluttering my classroom, my house, and my head...sort of a trifecta of baggage removal. Found your blog through FB posts and will be following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charmaine, I hope it's going well at home and school!

      Delete
  7. That's a pretty impressive before and after. I found that after I did a similar decluttering Lent challenge years ago, I was able to maintain it, and it has simplified my life (in a very good way) somewhat. Good luck to you as you continue on this journey. I think it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Crystal! Chuck did a super job right before I arrived, and we have plenty more to tackle together. It really is worth the effort. I've had to downsize twice already. I can do it again!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by Randomocity. Like most writers, I enjoy interacting with the wonderful people who read what I have to say, so please, if you would like to leave a "blogment," I would love to hear from you!